Group Therapy in Milwaukee
Each of us has been raised in group environments, through our families, schools, organized activities, or work. These are the environments in which we grow and develop as human beings, and group therapy is no different. It provides a place where we come together with others to share problems or concerns, to better understand our own situation, and to learn from and with each other.
Group therapy can be an incredibly supportive and encouraging space to heal because it can help us recognize that we are not alone. A group environment provides an opportunity for us to better relate to others and teaches how to communicate thoughts, feelings, and needs more effectively to peers who are working towards similar goals.
In a group therapy setting, members can describe things that have been most helpful in their own lives. Ideas can be discussed and explored for their merit or feasibility, and potential roadblocks to progress or change can be brainstormed amongst the group.
You will be amazed at how powerful group support, connection, and feedback can be on your own path to self-improvement.
How Does Group Therapy Work?
A group consists of 5-8 members and one therapist. The sessions occur biweekly and last 60-90 minutes long. Sessions are structured and will be focused on a specific topic each week.
The therapist guides the discussion, demonstrates effective communication techniques (such as active listening and giving and receiving constructive feedback) and ensures the safety and respectfulness of the space.
Members are encouraged to give support and feedback to others, as well as share their reactions to what other members’ contributions are bringing up for them.
Our Next Group Begins in May 2019 and Covers this Topic:
The Five Love Languages
This is a 6-week group for men and woman that focuses on enhancing your personal relationships using Gary Chapman’s “The 5 Love Languages.” Each week we will discuss one of the 5 love languages and group members will participate in small group talks and activities. This group is designed to enhance your close relationships by understanding what both you and your loved ones need to feel loved and will teach you how to effectively speak each other’s love languages.
- Date: Thursday, May 2nd, and will be held every other Thursday for 6 weeks (05/02, 05/16, 05/30, 06/06, 06/20, 06/27).
- Time: 6pm-7pm
- Location: Hillary Counseling office, 1661 N. Water Street, #507, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
- Materials: Members will need to purchase a copy of “The Five Love Languages” book, which will be available at Hillary Counseling. Books are $10/each.
- Fee: $25 for individuals/$40 for couples per group session. The total individual fee for 6 weeks is $150 and for couples is $240. Members are asked to make a commitment to a 6 week schedule.
- To Sign Up: Email Hannah Stadler, MFT at email@example.com.
If you would like to contact us, or have any questions regarding our services, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (414) 333-9969.