Love Yourself This Valentines Day
It’s that time of year again where every grocery store is filled to the brim with pink and red heart-shaped everything. Certainly Valentines Day is supposed to be a day all about love and relationships. But what about the most important relationship of all?
The relationship you have with yourself. Self-love and self-care is an important part of maintaining your mental health. However, a lot of people fall into the trap of being too hard on themselves and not giving themselves the same affection that they give others. So for this Valentines Day, be your own Valentine and take some time for self-care!
13 Ways to Practice Self-Love and Self-Care for Valentines Day
1) Make yourself a nice dinner of your favorite food or treat yourself to Door Dash or Grub Hub (COVID style)
2) Take some time for a thorough self-care routine. For example, try a DIY spa day at home or book yourself a massage!
3) Do something that makes you happy that you might not normally have time for. For example, indulge yourself with a fun fiction book, pour yourself a glass of wine and draw yourself a bubble bath, or go for a walk.
4) Get some sleep! Because staying well-rested is incredibly important for maintaining your mental health.
5) Go volunteer. When you volunteer in your community, you are improving your own mental health while also helping others.This can be a great way to be social and meet new people.
6) Have a friends day. Have some fun with your closest quarantined friends in order to help you destress.
7) Buy yourself one of those heart-shaped boxes of chocolates or something else cute that you’ve had your eyes on.
8) Though, if you wait until the day after Valentines Day, all the heart-shaped boxes of chocolates will be half off.
9) Do something that empowers you! Different things empower different people. Above all, on a self-love day, it is important that you do things that make you feel great about you.
10) If you enjoy working out, hit the gym, go for a hike, or go running. On the other hand, if you don’t enjoy working out, feel free to give yourself the day off to do something else that makes you happy.
11) Declutter. Cleaning can be a way to cleanse your space, so you feel calm and organized.
12) Unfollow people on social media who don’t make you happy or who post things that don’t make you feel good about yourself.Because their negativity is not something that you need in your life.
13) Practice self-acceptance. In order to feel good about yourself, you must forgive yourself for past mistakes, appreciate yourself for who you are, and enjoy the person that you are becoming.
14) Be mindful. Whether it is journaling, writing a Valentines Day card to yourself, or coloring to destress, mindfulness can help improve your mental health.